Julio was born in Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. Julio’s first sport was surfing and as a surfer, he was twice Rio de Janeiro State Champion and 3 times Brazilian College Champion (Faculdade Candido Mendes – 1982, 1983 and 1984), Saquarema Ala Moana Champion (1978), Pier Ipanema Champion (1975), and member of the Company Surf Competition Team and Brazilian Nuts Surf Competition Team.
Julio started training in Judo when he was 6 years old and he trained Judo for 3 years. At 14 years old he started training in Capoeira (Brazilian Martial Arts) and he trained Capoeira for 2 years. At 17 years old he started training in Jiu-Jitsu with Carlson Gracie Sr., invited by three of his friends Fernando Pinduka, Marcelo Bustamante and Mauricio Bustamante. He has been training under Grand Master Carlson Gracie Sr. for over 35 years now and he is 6th Degree Black Belt.
Julio is living in Vermont and opened his Academy in Williston, Vermont and has been producing many champions in Sport Jiu-Jitsu, Free-Style Jiu-Jitsu and MMA, with a high level of instruction to competitors and students who want to learn properly in a safe and positive environment the brazilian jiu-jitsu martial art.Julio is the President of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu United States Association (BJJUSA). He is a CBJJ and IBJJF Certified Instructor (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil). Julio is also the co-founder of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Revolution Team with his friend Rodrigo “Botafogo” Medeiros www.bjjrevolutionteam.com. He is committed to see that his students learn properly and completely the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He teaches with great affection, do not criticize, encourage, and he wants his students to feel inspired.
Julio has competed in all jiu-jitsu tournaments in Brazil in the 1980’s and competed in almost 200 matches representing the Carlson Gracie Team. He is also a member of Carlson’s elite team. Julio has been raised with some of the top names of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu history, like Fernando Pinduka, Rosado, Rosenthal, Mario Cupertino, Marcelo Bustamante, Mauricio Bustamante, Murilo Bustamante, Peixotinho, Marcus Aurelio, Marcus Silveira, Wallid Ismael, Cassio Cardoso, Ricardo Dela Riva, Vitor Belfort, Marcelo Alonso, Buchaul, Paulo “Mamao”, Ricardo Liborio, Carlson Gracie Jr., Ze Henrique, Ricardo “Juca”, Carlinhos “Bagana”, Clovis Silva, Rodrigo Medeiros, and other great fighters in the Carlson Gracie Team.
Here are some titles won by Julio Fernandez:
- 5 Times Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Feather Weight Champion – Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- Caio Martins Stadium – Niteroi, RJ (1987)
- Canto do Rio Stadium – Niteroi, RJ (1986)
- Canto do Rio Stadium – Niteroi, RJ (1985)
- Caio Martins Stadium – Niteroi, RJ (1983 – 1984)
- 2 Times Champion Minas Gerais / Rio de Janeiro Challenge
- 3 Times Rio de Janeiro State Champion
- Canto do Rio Stadium – Niteroi, RJ (1989)
- Company State Tournament Light Weight Champion – RJ (1988)
- Fluminense Futebol Clube – Laranjeiras, RJ (1987)
- 2011 Featherweight World Master Champion, Tijuca Tenis Clube, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.
- 2014 World Masters Featherweight Champion, Long Beach, California
About Robert Hugus:
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt 4th Degree under Julio “Foca” Fernandez Carlson (Gracie Team and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Revolution Team Co-Founder)
- Multiple Time N.A.G.A. Medal Winner (Gi and No-Gi Divisions)
- Multiple Time Medal Winner Submission Grappling and Gi Competitions throughout New England
- 2002 Pan-American Silver Medal Winner
- 2003 Pan-American Bronze Medal Winner
- 2006 International Master Competitor Rio De Janeiro Brazil
- King of the Cage Mixed Martial Arts Competitor- Pro-Division
- Burlington Brawl Mixed Martial Arts Champion- Pro-Division
- Trained with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Revolution Team and Brazilian Top Team (Brazil) Gi, No-Gi, and MMA camps.
- Trained Thai Boxing multiple times in Thailand with various camps
- Mixed Martial Arts Instructor for B.J.J. Revolution Team/Vermont Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Former Mobile Response (SWAT) Team Member
- Police Sergeant and head Defensive Tactics Instructor and Physical Trainer for one of the largest police agencies in New York State
- Police Officer with over 26 years of experience
- Over 30 years of Martial Arts Experience including Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Thai Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, and Karate
- From Oahu, Hawaii to Burlington, Vermont
- US Federal Government Officer
- US Border Patrol Agent 16 years Veteran
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Experience: 6 years
Learn properly and completely the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu martial arts style from IBJJF and CBJJ Certified Instructors in a safe and positive training environment!